Sunday, June 26, 2005

Exam-o-phobia (an extremely late post...)

15th June 2005, Wednesday, 2.00 pm local time

Just came back from pharm. science prac exam…didn’t think that it’d be that stressful. Everyone expected it to be a solution, since it was the easiest product which she could test us on EVERYTHING….only I didn’t expect to do that many calculations…Since this is the first year the school is introducing prac exams for first years, I was thinking, “Hah. How hard could it be? Probably a couple of triturates to calculate, a couple of ancillary labels, but that shouldn’t be a problem, right?” WRONG. There were so many things to do. We had to make Paracetamol Elixir, and we had to figure out all the dispensing steps…what’s the solubility of paracetamol? Is it more soluble in water or ethanol, hence in which excipient should we dilute it in? Then we had to show the calculations, both the working formulas, etc etc, not to mention all the referencing we had to make… The best was yet to come. They bombarded us with a whole load of info to CONFUSE us (deliberately, I kid you not)…You had to scan through all those fine details in the stack of papers and sieve the info…At first, I grabbed the 100mL clear flat and poured the elixir in, stuck on the main labels, ancillary labels, expiry, etc nicely…It was only 2 minutes before finishing time (when I was double-checking my work) when I realized a fine print which read: “Protect from light”. I was like, “OH MY GOD! WHAT THE ****???” and then I thought, “No no no no don’t do this to me!!!” Seriously, I broke out in cold sweat…1 minute before our products would be collected, and I find out that I’d stupidly transferred my elixir into the wrong kind of flat…We were supposed to transfer it into a 100mL DARK flat! I ran to the shelves (right at the back of the dispensing lab). Then I had to retype the labels, grab more ancillary and expiry labels, etc etc…When I was finally retyped them all, guess what? I couldn’t find my dark flat!! It turns out that one of the lab assistants thought I was done, and so he took the flat back to the shelves behind. And yeah, so I had to dash behind to grab it again (*_*)…Hell, I don’t even know if I typed the main label correctly…Virginia’s extremely strict when it comes to practicals…she minuses ½ a mark if you don’t put a full stop behind your sentences, and another 1 mark if you put ‘5’ instead of ‘five’ in your instructions (asides from measurement units)…she gives zeroes for the WHOLE PRACTICAL for errors in calculations…imagine, what will she do if I made a typo on the label? What if I mistyped the drug’s name? She’ll probably give me a NEGATIVE mark or something…Imagine if I flunk the whole exam just for a damn typo…hell…I’ll probably throw myself outta my room’s window or start banging my head against the wall…all that trouble, wasted just because of a typo…

Right now, it’s 3 down, and 2 more to go…exams, that is. The exams seem to be dragging on and on that it’s really wearing me out…imagine, the exam period starts on the 3rd of June, but mine starts only on the 10th and finishes on the 21st…a whole month of exams…it’s horrible how they cram stuff…some people either finish early, or their exams are spaced out really nicely (ie: 3 days or so between each exams, just nice to recover, relax, and study)… most of my exams are on alternate days. Granted, it could’ve been worse, but these kinda exams are really tiring…and the fact that I have to hike up these stupid hills just to get back to college doesn’t help…this is really both mentally and physically exhausting…But the torture isn’t over yet; I’ve still got chemistry (I hate organic chem!) and CSA105 (stupid subject) to study for….I repeat, I HATE organic chemistry…

I’m getting a headache; even after the exams n during the holidays I’ve got stuff to worry about…THEY WON’T EVEN LET US ENJOY OUR HOLIDAYS!! I’ve got this major essay to complete, my human bio prac reports, my major reports…on top of that, I’ve got to get all the lecture notes, slides, and past year papers in preparation for next semester…I’ve gotta squeeze all of that into the week before I head to Melbourne…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home